Monday, February 24, 2014

Speech Reflection

I have one of the worst habits when it comes to giving a speech...I memorize word for word.  I have done this since high school so it is a habit that is going to be very hard to break.  When I prepare for a speech, I begin by typing out everything I want to say and then organize those thoughts into a meaningful order.  This outline becomes my lifeline when I go up to speak.  Although our brains are amazing things, they can let us down when we least expect it.  I clearly experienced this when I took a long pause in the beginning, racking my brain for what I was supposed to say next.  This has to be one of the most terrifying situations when giving a speech because people don't always pay attention when you're talking, but when you stand there fighting for words, EVERYONE is alert then.  After this horrifying pause though, I was able to pick back up and finish without any other mishaps.  I have never watched myself give a speech so I was interested to see what other annoying habits I had.  Fortunately, I did not sway, use filter words, or avoid looking at the audience. When giving a speech, you become so focused on what to say next that you become completely unaware of your body.  I was pleased to find that I kept control of my movements and engaged with the audience more than I realized. Overall, I presented about as well as I expected.  I just hope I learn my lesson and avoid memorization for future speeches.

1 comment:

  1. It's not so much a habit as it is a control mechanism. I understand why you want to feel in charge: our lives are chaotic, and preparation makes us feel like we have control of at least something. However, what you discovered is that this type of control is an illusion. What I want you to focus on is letting go, trusting yourself, and experiencing the moment of the speech and your audience. I think you'll find it's much more liberating than trying to control your speech beforehand.

    ReplyDelete